Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Give yourself a break!

This is more of a public service announcement than a blog. I feel motivated to write to anyone who may listen and actually follow my advice (including me). GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK! This is, of course, motivated by my long list of patients today who felt anxious, stressed, overwhelmed and fat. This is a reasonable feeling since most people I know, save my husband who is almost a pure hedonist, go go go go go go go go go. I include myself in this group but am trying to work on it for the betterment of my future self and my present patients.

Your body does not know the difference between a person chasing you with a knife and your boss yelling at you, a deadline you may or may not meet, your kids yelling, or the bills needing to be paid without money in the bank. IT IS ALL THE SAME TO THE BRAIN!

So, why are we surpised that we feel tired, don't sleep well, gain weight, and generally feel like a big pile of poo. Every now and then, we all need to remember that we were not meant to live like this and put ourselves first for once.
Be good to yourself. Actually treat yourself as you would like to be treated and as you would treat others. Give yourself a minute or a day or a month off and do that thing you wanted to do. Do it for yourself and for all the other people who wish they could. Just don't expect to develop superhuman abilties to go back to your day to day grind.

Play and have fun and do silly things.

I'll see you in Hawaii or at the Oregon Coast.

Read a book, throw away the book you will never ever finish.

Tell yourself YES! Tell another person no (politely of course)

Good luck !!

1 comment:

Ally said...

Words of wisdom, cous. Now I feel justified in having had a sitter two nights in a row (to the tune of $55 in babysitting fees). It was the doctor's orders! Now if I can just get you to prescribe some of Grandma's rolls...